Back in 1993 I fell in love with a painting of Pro Hart's which was featured on the Senior Scene magazine that my parents received. I always planned to base a quilt on it.
In 2005 (I can remember because I actually made a label) I used the Ricky Timms method to create the background (I could have actually cut up strips and not bothered about using his method). I used 2 fabrics which had been in my stash for years - the lighter was a hand dyed piece I bought from Cat Stone (a scquilter) and the darker was a Nancy Crow fabric I thought I would use as the background for a Snugglepot and Cuddlepie quilt I might make for impending grandchildren. Well that never happened and I've grown away from that idea.
I then appliqued the Sturt peas - I think this may have been some of Lisa Walton's fabric but I can't be positive - and used a small amount of fabric pens to highlight them. At the time I was doing a class with Pam Holland and she added some white highlights as I didn't have access to a white pen.
This is the piece before I got to work on it today.
Then I bought some Shiva paintsticks which have been sitting in a box waiting for inspiration. Well today I pulled out the quilt and the paintsticks and drew all over the quilt to try and get a little of the effect of the original painting.
Once the paint sets (about a week) I will do some thread drawing and quilting on the piece and may even add some beads.
I think I may need to add more paint but I just want a hint of the painting as I'd like to maintain the original fabric look. But it has been fun so far - wonder which year it will be finished - am going to have to change the date on the label!!