About Me

I live in Tasmania with my husband of 40 years and have a daughter in Melbourne and a son in Launceston. My interests are quilting, theatre, reading, gardening, travel. I work as a chartered accountant.

Friday, May 4, 2007

Arnheim

11 April saw us in Arnheim - famous from the film A Bridge Too Far.
I visited the museum at Oosterbeek, which is in the actual building that the British used as
their headquarters during the campaign. A very moving time- especially visiting the cemetry where so many of the graves are for unknown soldiers.






And here is the bridge which replaced that which was blown up by the Germans - the allies never did capture it! What a waste of life.

1 comment:

Nola said...

It's places like this that make you so immediately aware of how much history has happened in this relatively small area. And how many people have died throughouth the years for possession of some bit of it or other, usually to no real outcome.