About Me

I live in Tasmania with my husband of 40 years and have a daughter in Melbourne and a son in Launceston. My interests are quilting, theatre, reading, gardening, travel. I work as a chartered accountant.

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Trier

Our next stop was Trier - the oldest town in Germany.
This Pink Palace - the Electoral Palace was started in 1615 and built next to the
Roman Basilica which was built early in the 4th Century AD







This is part of the walls of the Cathedral - the stone work to the left (which looks newer) was actually built in 326 AD and the older looking stonework was much later.









I was fascinated with the House of the Three Kings - there were no windows on the ground floor and the door was on the first floor and required a ladder to use it - now that's paranoia for you!










And the Porta Nigra show the remains of the city wall build in the 2C.

No comments: